Sunday, July 28, 2013

Story of My Life - Phuket, Thailand Travels

Being in Korea for a little too long can be a drag on anyone, but being able to take a vacation to a nearby country, or not so nearby is always amazing. After living in Korea for over a year and realizing how important and wise it is to take advantage of the proximity of traveling all of Southeast Asia, my next travel was to Thailand! Being stressed from the amount of work that I’ve been doing in Korea, relaxation was the number one factor to this vacation.

With that in mind, the only place to visit was the Phuket area for the main purpose of island hopping. The one must visit island where I spent most of my time was Phi Phi Island. It is filled with tourists and one of the best places to stay. They offer a handful of guides to the neighboring islands that allows for you to do the most traveling to beaches and water activities possible. The one must visit is Maya Bay, where the movie the Beach was filmed. A word of advice is to go for the travel agencies that are deeper into the island, the price is definitely a big difference.

Another thing that was amazing about Phi Phi Island is the unlimited amount of great food which is not just limited to Thai. The seafood is fresh and the amazing compliments of foreign food are included as well. It is a bit of a splurge to purchase by weight, but they are unique and meaty that is actually worth it. On another note, nothing is more fresh than their tropical fruits. The island offers fresh smoothies practically everywhere you go and fruits that are cut up and ready to eat. I practically had more than the recommended daily serving everyday.

For those who are bold enough to, try to eat what the locals do. That’s the one thing that is always on my list so going to the cheapest areas and eating things that are found on the streets is my thing. There is a slight chance of food poisoning of course, but I always take my risk. Although I expected to try something as crazy as bugs in Thailand, this trip was pretty calm in regards to food, nothing that crazy.

As for accommodation, staying at the Andaman Legacy Resort is a bit far from the main bar area so it is a bit quieter and the best part is the hotel. It’s a bit on the higher end, but still only setting you back about $60 a night. For a clean place with quick service and amazing hospitality, it is my recommendation to make to anyone. There’s free wi-fi all around the resort and they have their own pool area next to the free breakfast. It is one place that I would probably go back to, especially with the cute towel designs daily!

Heading out of Phi Phi Island, the closest big city is Phuket and spending a day or two in Phuket is recommended. It is nothing like the islands of course, but you are able to see a glimpse of Thailand for the food, culture, and lots of lady boys. Walking around for shopping (lots of bargaining) and the street foods is amazing in Phuket. Because it is not as clean as the islands, it’s not the favorite place for many, but there’s nothing more than getting the full cultural experience than in the actual cities. The one thing that I do feel horrible about is elephant trekking because of the marks that I saw, but it is now over with. I still have a passion for them, but I hope you'll be treated better! Another wonderful trip checked off my bucket list, can’t wait for the next one!



No comments:

Post a Comment