Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Story of My Life - Quarter Century Crisis

 I turn 25 this Christmas Day and I still don't know what I want to do with my life. Quarter century crisis that many have of course, but it doesn't get any easier by the day. After finishing up two years in my life, I have decided that I don't want to live in the States forever. It makes things a little difficult with no definite plans. Being abroad is what I hope for, but how easy it is to land a job with good pay in a third world country? Very slim. On another note, how easy is it to land my dream job abroad? Practically impossible. What is my dream job? To have my own show if traveling and eating all sorts of crazy stuff, doing all sorts of crazy things as it is filmed. Yup, in my dreams.

 I have a passion for food and traveling. I eat all sorts of crazy taboo foods without any hesitation- to some extent. I love seeing nature and doing all sorts of crazy things. What i am grateful for these last two hears is that I feel that I have checked off so much on my bucket list these past two years alone that many do not have the chance to do ever in their lifetime. After reading so many articles that circle Buzzfeed and many publications about regrets in life and what to do in your 20s, it was just that that sparked my last month. For the past month, traveling around the world and seeing what it has to offer has been quite the thrill. There's so many eye openers that has further changed who I am as a person and broadened my perspective on life. 

Today has been one special day. I am in a foreign country, just spent my birthday with two strangers that I met yesterday who are wonderful people. From couch surfing, one picked me up at the airport yesterday and took me out to dinner. We then proceeded to go Christmas light hunting with his friend who then spent Christmas Day with us exploring the city. I have done some crazy things in life and feel that I have finally grown up. I was quite a drama queen, extremely immature, but I have learned the way of life. Now that I am finally 25 and can be quoted as more "wiser" a few words of advice to you are: 

1. Don't let others change your mind. I have had this happened to me so many times and to be honest, I just waste a lot of time to do something I don't really believe in and in the end, I go back to my gut instinct. I always fish at my friends for advice (I'm sure most of them are sick of me for this) but in reality, I'm looking for confirmation of what I honestly want. Everytime I get an opinion contrary to mine as advice, I always throw them a reason of why it is a bad idea to proceed until I get them to agree with my intial thought. Chase what you believe in and live in the moment.
2. Find a middle ground between saving and spending. YOLO. I get it, but because YOLO, you need to also plan for a future that allows for you to do the things that you want. I worked hard since I was 16 and saved up a whole life's saving. I never really spent any of it and managed to save up until it was practically scammed from me, which leads me to...
3. Don't trust so easily. You have to be smart and wise and although you may pity others and feel bad for them, you have to think in terms of what is an advantage for you as well. Up until I was about 22, everything I worked for was reflected in my bank account but it was a little over two years ago that I lost $30K at one time because I was gullible to believe in the good of people. 
4. Help others. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't believe in others just because a few bad people ruin the pot for many. Since then, I have tried to help others without having to give up too much. I've been volunteering and finding ways to donate whenever possible. Just be sure to find trustworthy organizations to stick with when it comes to these various efforts. 
5. Meet as much people from different countries as possible. Growing up, I went through phases of selective nationalities I would hang out with and that was probably one of the dumbest things now that I look back. You can't judge others based on the way they look and their ethnicity. It tells you nothing about the person. Since I've been traveling abroad, I realized that some of these people I would probably never talk to if I was in America. I'm glad I no longer limit myself because you'll be amazed at what you do learn from others! 
6. Don't be scared to try something new. I honestly can say I HATE when people say yuck or simply reject something without trying it. Just because I am eating a bug does not mean it is disgusting, fried grasshoppers in the night markets are amazing. Not taking boxing classes because I'm out of shape or I have no time is no excuse either. You'll be surprised at what you actually do enjoy once you try something new.
7. Live spontaneously. I have always planned out everything in life since I was a kid. Problem is most of the time, things almost never go as planned. What then? Normally I would freak out and be such a pessimist about it for the day, but why do that when you can be spontaneous and adventurous. This past month, I have done the least planning ever in my life. I am enjoying my travels day by day and it actually has been so much less stress.
8. Smile. My very last piece of advice is smile. I was told when I was in high school that I brighten up the day for one of my teachers and I never understood why. He then proceeded to tell me that if I walked around the hallways and look at how many people actually smile, I would understand. Once I did, I continued to smile because it is contagious and does help to make everyone's days just a tad bit better.

Happy holidays to you and your family! 


No comments:

Post a Comment