Saturday, August 10, 2013

Fresh on the Market - Dunkin' Donut's New York Pie Donut "Cronut" 뉴욕파이도넛

So the fad in America, which originated in New York is the "cronut" and the rest of the world, everyone and their mother is copying this thing. It wasn't going to be long before the Cronut reached Seoul. Who would have ever thought that Dunkin Donuts would be the first to replicate the Cronut and name it the "New York Pie Donut" 뉴욕파이도넛.  Although the lines aren't as ridiculous here in Seoul as they are back in New York, there are people lined up for the New York Pie Donut 뉴욕파이도넛. They only have it in a select number of Dunkin Donuts around town which include, but are not limited to: Jamsil, Myeondong, and Gangnam. Be sure to check the list (get a Korean friend to do it to expedite the process) and keep in mind that they are serving it during certain hours.
Lucky for me, I did not have to wait to try this "Cronut." To be honest, I probably wouldn't be so happy if I had to. I assume this is nothing like the original for the simple reason that it is not topped with icing. Koreans definitely do not have a sweet tooth like us foreigners so sprinkled sugar is enough for them. Nonetheless, although the New York Pie Donut 뉴욕파이도넛 has been out for a while, it is still flaky and I think the best way to eat it is by peeling. 

Honest to say, the top layer was the best and although there was a 2 per person limit, I'm glad I didn't go for the second one. I enjoyed the layer by layer texture of a croissant, but for the simple fact that it wasn't topped with icing was a downer for me. I would definitely have it again, just wouldn't stand in line for it. So I suggest if you must go, go on a weekday!
For the Jamsil location: take exit 3 of the Sincheon station. Go straight following the path for about four blocks and you will see Dunkin Donuts on the corner. 
Address: 송파구 잠실본동 242-9
Songpa-gu Jamsil 242-9

No comments:

Post a Comment