Sunday, April 22, 2012

Restaurant Review - My Thai

My Thai, one of my favorite foreign restaurants is a short walk from the Itaewon train station in Seoul. Itaewon is the place for foreigners to go and to have food from all over the world. For starters, My Thai is a restaurant that I suggest visiting in the warmer seasons, even up to fall. The reason for that is because My Thai is an outdoor restaurant for its lack of a whole entire wall. The interior consists of a wood layout and dim lighting which is great for a date and even a girls night to conversation over wine.

In regards to food, My Thai puts their own twist on the Thai traditions. The signature Pad Thai for example uses an egg to wrap the noodles and the chili powder is set aside for you to create your desired taste. Their curry is more on the traditional side of Thai curry, but it does skip out on the variety of vegetables that many restaurants include. Although peppers are the only vegetables, the amount if meat that is given has definitely surpassed any other restaurant I have been to for the size of its bowl. Plating and presentation deserves its appraisal because it matches the restaurant's look and feel.

My only chief complaint is that the traditional Thai Iced Tea which is a must have at every and any Thai restaurant was actually sold out. It might of been because of the winter season, but I do not find that to be an excuse for a restaurant to not have a popular drink of the culture. Another complaint is that rice is not included with the curry dish and it is an additional price that is a must pay for. In my opinion, it would just make more sense to add the additional price for the bowl of rice in the price of the dish, it does make a better look for the restaurant for the additional dollar rather than charging separate when your customer was not aware of the extra fee.



If you plan on eating at My Thai, just have a heads up for the extra 10% surcharge for each item that you order which is half of the tax and tip back at home. It is understandable because Itaewon is where are the foreigners live and hang, but it can be a shocker to those who have been accustomed to the no tipping rule in Asian countries.

Exit 2 from the Itaewon station on line 6 and take a left on the first side street next to Hamilton Hotel. My Thai will be on your right.

No comments:

Post a Comment