Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Life in Korea - Junkfood Stash

I am big on food, very big on small eats and junk food. I finally decided to share with the world my "stash." Everyone knows I am big on sweets and chips and when I go shopping, the three C's (cookies, chips, and candy) are always on the top of my list. Sometimes, I spend more money on junk foods than real food. 

Nonetheless, I love Korea for its flavored goodies. I am currently addicted to the chocolate covered sunflower seeds which is equivalent to a peanut's M&M, but oh so delicious. I recently bought a 1.5 pound bag of these sunflower seeds. You won't understand until you have tried them!

In addition to the oh so delicious sunflower seeds, I have a stash of the Ganache Macadamia Chocolates that are truffle like squares filled with macadamia nuts. It is delicious! Being that I am big on truffles, with my numerous posts (La Maison Du Chocolat, Leonidas, Lily O'Briens Cafe, teuscher, neuhaus chocolate), I've been on the search here. I haven't found any chocolate truffle places, but I did find a store brand that has helped me satisfy my current cravings: Royal Milk and Dark Chocolate Truffle.

I haven't found any great cookies here, but I did find a whole bunch of chips. Korea doesn't have the many typical plain flavors that we find back in America, but there are a bunch of seafood and sweet chips. For a different craving, these chips have a blast of flavor that is usually puffy inside. I love the big fluff of Asian chips, doesn't taste anything like the flat, thin fried potato chip you find in America. My favorites include the crab shaped chips, puffy fish shaped cuttlefish chip, the sweet potato chip, and the sweet flavored chip topped with black sesame in the shape of a ring.


Lastly, rice cakes and uncooked ramen noodles are a big snack here as well. They even have baby size bags of ramen that are compressed and kid's bite sizes. I have learned to like them, just not as much as the kids do here. They even have the chips where the ramen come in size and a bag of powder for the kids to add it to. All they do is shake it up and enjoy. I know for a fact when I fly back, I will be having a suitcase full of junk food!

1 comment: