Saturday, July 16, 2011

Restaurant Review - Gyu Kaku

Gyu Kaku
34 Cooper Square
New York, NY 10013
(212) 475-2989

Korean BBQ is pretty well known to everyone. How does Japanese BBQ sound to you? Other than the common Japanese skewer stick BBQ, Gyu Kaku has marinated meat that you BBQ yourself. There are a few Gyu Kaku stores all over the world, two in New York. I usually go to the one around St Marks because travel is a lot easier for me, plus we’ve learned to love the staff there, especially with my friends going every week.

The food at Gyu Kaku is pretty different from any other Japanese BBQ places I have been. They have a variety of sauces that you can pick with your marinated meats; many are paired up with a specific sauce that is oh-so-delicious. My ultimate favorite is the miso sauce. It doesn’t have a lot of flavor so it doesn’t overwhelm the meat that you are eating. Meat portions are extremely small and it is a family-style theme where you share with others so do not plan to order for yourself only. There’s also a bunch of other dishes that compliment your meat—I definitely recommend the Chicken Garlic Noodle and Sukiyaki Beef Bibimbap. I also love their Yakimochi ice cream dessert where you make your own mochi. Yum yum!

Pricing for Gyu Kaku can be pretty expensive and it can get packed there. The best times to go are during happy hour of course from 3-6 everyday or 9:30 to close on weekdays. I always try to go during these hours because it doesn’t hurt to eat good food for a low price! Order the right foods and it will only cost you $20 pp. I do recommend making reservations prior to going; I usually call a few hours before leaving the house. They do offer walk-ins but of course just giving them a ring will save you waiting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment